Graphic Design Specialist
Do you enjoy working on a variety of projects with high-performing colleagues in a fostering environment while improving the world around you? At the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality, we value our employees who dedicate themselves in protecting Virginia’s natural resources. All positions work collectively toward one goal: safeguarding Virginia’s diverse and abundant natural resources, which benefit agriculture, industry, and commerce, to provide a rich environment for people, plants, and wildlife.
The Department of Environmental Quality, Office of Communications seeks a qualified candidate to serve as a Communications Coordinator. This position provides graphic design services in support of DEQ’s outreach, engagement, and communications efforts.
The qualified candidate will work with internal technical staff, management, and the communications team to:
- Produce informative graphics, including info graphs, charts, illustrations, and other tools.
- Manage projects by identifying tasks and schedules used to accomplish the stated goals of the position.
- Reach target audiences, including the general public, stakeholders, businesses, civic groups, environmental organizations, local government, legislators, other state and federal agencies, DEQ employees, and the media.
- Demonstrated ability in preparing and presenting complex information in graphical form for multiple audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to research, write, and edit materials such as fact sheets, FAQs, website content, brochures, presentations, speeches, and other printed and electronic materials.
- Demonstrated ability and experience creating content for different platforms/channels.
- Demonstrated ability and experience creating graphics for digital and print communications-based products using Adobe Creative Cloud
- Experience translating technical language and industry jargon into plain language.
- Ability to collaborate with a wide variety of agency staff (including leadership) on a broad range of topics.
- Creative approaches to communicating with varied audiences.
- Government, scientific, or other technical design experience
Why Work at DEQ? DEQ employees are rewarded with a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package, which may include:
- Comprehensive health insurance
- A healthy work-life-balance
- 15 paid holidays, vacation/personal/sick/parental leave
- Membership in the Virginia state retirement system
- Flexible schedules
- Tuition reimbursement
- Performance-based recognition
- Access to an extensive professional development and training program
- Opportunities for advancement and much more.
To Apply: Go to the position posting on the Virginia Jobs portal and apply today! Applicants are encouraged to be specific regarding job-related knowledge, skills, and abilities. Applications received after November 23, 2023, or submitted via postal mail, email, or fax will not be considered.