Initial Posting Date:
Department of Transportation
$4,607 - $7,082
Associate in Engineering 2 – Load Rater
Oregon Department of Transportation
Delivery & Operations Division – Engineering & Technical Services Branch
Bridge Engineering Section / Bridge Operations Unit
Our Bridge Operations Unit is recruiting for a load rater! In this role, you provide load rating and bridge inspection support by inventorying, inspecting, evaluating and assessing the condition state of bridges, tunnels, culverts and sign support structures. You will make on-site judgments as to the urgency of bridge deficiencies found and make prioritized recommendations for our repair/rehabilitation/replace process. Apply today!
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.
If you are a current State of Oregon employee, you must apply through your employee Workday profile.
A day in the life:
- Perform load rating analyses using standard computer programs under the supervision of the senior load rating engineer.
- Compile load rating reports.
- Schedule and perform in-service inspections for structures in the assigned geographical area.
- Assess the condition of bridge elements and the urgency of any deficiencies.
- Report on National Bridge Inventory (NBI) bridges, minor structures, structural sign bridges and cantilevers.
- Perform on-site assessments of the physical condition of structures and complete reports of the findings.
- Compare load rating report findings for consistency with current bridge conditions.
- Assess the physical condition, file an electronic copy and add the information into the condition assessment information for the bridge.
- Ensure that structures with underwater elements are being inspected by the underwater inspection team.
- Review underwater inspection reports and add findings into the overall condition assessment of the bridge.
- Remote work options available! Work in an office environment with outdoor work required more than 30% of the time.
- May be required to accompany staff on bridge inspections which may involve working on or around heights, around and above bodies of water, confined spaces, high traffic volumes and noise in all types of weather conditions.
- May be required to lift up to 30 pounds.
- To request a copy of the position description, which includes all duties and working conditions, please email ODOTRecruitment@odot.oregon.gov.
What’s in it for you:
- Work/life balance, 11 paid holidays a year, flexible work schedules, remote work options, competitive benefits packages and so much more. Click here to learn about working at the Oregon Department of Transportation.
- Live, work and play in Salem, Oregon!
Want to know about new job postings? Click here to subscribe for email notifications through GovDelivery!
What we need:
Completion of and passing score on the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam and one year of experience applying professional engineering theory, principles and methods.
Driving is an essential function of this position. You must have a valid driver license and an acceptable driving record. We will conduct pre-employment driving records checks on our final candidate(s). Your license does not have to be issued in Oregon to be considered.
What we’d like to see:
If you have these qualities, let us know! It’s how we will choose whom to move forward!
Note: You do not need to have all of these qualities to be eligible for this position.
- Experience performing load rating analyses using standard computer programs.
- Experience compiling load rating reports.
- Experience performing bridge condition inspection or bridge construction inspection.
- Experience using specialized work access equipment such as a man-lift, bucket truck, or under-bridge inspection truck (UBIT).
How to apply:
- Before applying, click here to visit our applicant information website to learn more about our process.
- Complete the following required steps:
- Attach a resume. Your resume must include dates (MM/YYYY) for each employer. Please contact the recruiter under the ‘Need help?’ section if you have any questions about how to attach a document.
- Attach a cover letter. Your cover letter should clearly demonstrate how your experience and training relates to the qualities that you have under the “what we’d like to see” section above.
- Your cover letter must be limited to no more than two (2) pages.
- Please address your cover letter to Joel Boothe, ODOT Bridge Operations Manager.
- Generic cover letters and/or cover letters that do not address the qualities that you have under the “what we’d like to see” section may receive lower scores than those that addressed the desired qualities.
- If you are an external applicant, you must upload your cover letter in the ‘Resume/CV’ section of the application.
- Complete questionnaire. Answer the checkbox-style questions before submitting your application.
- After you submit your application, please respond to the public records request authorization and gender identity questionnaire. This screen will come after you submit and will complete the process. If you are an employee, the tasks will come to your Workday inbox.
- If you are a veteran, you may receive preference. Click here for more information about veterans’ preference. The task to claim preference will come after the public records request and gender identity questionnaire tasks. Click here for a guide on how to upload your documents. For privacy reasons, please do not attach your DD214/DD215/civil service preference letter to your application or combine it with any other required document attachments.
- For questions, call 971-273-8687 or email ODOTRecruitmentEM@odot.oregon.gov.
The fine print:
- We may also use other factors to help us decide who will move forward, such as transferable skills, experience, education, and alignment with ODOT values.
- We do not offer visa sponsorship. If you are hired, you will be required to fill out the US Department of Homeland Security’s I-9 form confirming you are able to work in the US.
- Don’t attach extra documents. We will only look at documents that we ask for.
- We may use this recruitment to fill multiple or future vacancies.
- We will conduct name-based criminal background checks on final candidates, not including current ODOT employees. All applicants may be subject to additional pre-employment check(s) such as driver license, LEDS (Law Enforcement Data System), and/or education verification as required for the position.
- You will be represented by the Association of Engineering Employees of Oregon (AEE).
Human Resources/Recruitment, MS12
355 Capitol St NE
Salem OR 97301-3871
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation or any other class protected by state or federal laws in admission or access to our programs, services, activities, hiring, and employment practices. Applicants with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation during the application process. For questions, concerns, or complaints regarding EEO/AA/ADA, contact 1-877-336-6368 (1-877-EEO-ODOT). This information can be made available in an alternative format by contacting ODOT Recruitment at 503-986-3700. Oregon Relay Service can be reached by calling 7-1-1.