Correctional Counselor 2* - 10062021 - 22976
LOCATION OF (1) POSITION TO BE FILLED: DEPARTMENT OF CORRECTION, PROBATION AND PAROLE FIELD SUPERVISION DIVISION, RUTHERFORD COUNTY
This classification of Correctional Counselor 2* currently has an In-Range salary of $3,137.87 monthly/ $37,654.44 yearly.
GroupBox1Education and Experience: Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree and experience equivalent to one year of full-time professional social or psychological counseling work.
Substitution of Education for Experience: One year of graduate coursework in a social or behavioral science may be substituted for the year of professional counseling experience.
Substitution of Experience for Education: Full time social or psychological counseling experience can be substituted for the required education on a year for year basis for a maximum of two years; requiring two years of study at an accredited college or university.
One year as a Correctional Counselor with the State of Tennessee Department of Correction.
GroupBox1Necessary Special Qualifications: Applicants for this class must:
- A valid vehicle operator’s license may be required for employment in some positions.
Examination Method: Education and Experience, 100%, for Preferred Service positions
GroupBox1Summary: Under general direction, is responsible for professional correctional counseling work of average difficulty; and performs related work as required.
Distinguishing Features: ,This is the working level class in the Correctional Counselor sub-series. An employee in this class supervises a caseload of incarcerated offenders inside a correctional facility. This class is flexibly staffed with and differs from the Correctional Counselor 1 in that an incumbent of the latter performs entry-level work. This class differs from the Correctional Counselor 3 in that an incumbent of the latter is responsible for leading others in counseling work.
- Calculates sentencing information to determine the accuracy of an offender’s sentence computation.
- Verifies that offender sentencing complies with judgment order.
- Completes initial intake packages and/or risk-need assessments on offenders.
- Prepares and maintains records and reports on offender history, progress, adjustment, rule violations, visitation, recommendations for special visits, and other related statistics.
Resolving Conflicts and Negotiating with Others:
- Provides appropriate interventions in interactions between staff and offenders to resolve issues of conflict.
- Administers risk/needs assessment to offenders using motivational interviewing techniques.
- Conducts Prison Rape Elimination Act screenings to determine potential victim or aggressor status.
- Speaks to appropriate agencies and personnel to gather information relevant to offender history.
- Interviews offenders to evaluate progress in accomplishing recommendations and parole board mandates.
Evaluating Information to Determine Compliance with Standards:
- Evaluates all offender records, case notes, and information to ensure compliance with all applicable standards, laws, policies, rules, and regulations.
Coaching and Developing Others:
- Develops workshops for offender reentry and career development.
- Facilitates workshops for offender reentry and career development.
Selling or Influencing Others:
- Uses motivational interactions with offenders to realign offender behaviors, thinking, and reactions to conform to facility rules and societal norms.
Monitor Processes, Materials, or Surroundings:
- Reviews offender files to fulfill various institutional needs.
- Participates in classification and reclassification hearings to review information relevant to offender behavior, program participation, and other factors for the purpose of determining offender custody levels and programmatic goals.
- Supervises a caseload of up to 150 offenders in an institutional setting.
- Monitor environment to identify security related concerns in order to assure continued safety of the facility.
- Monitor offenders to ensure compliance with recommendations and parole board mandates.
Developing Objectives and Strategies:
- Develops reentry plans for offenders within established time frames and in accordance with departmental procedures.
- Provides counseling and instruction specific to the needs of a reentry caseload.
- Contacts and counsels with offender family members concerning release.
- Counsels offenders concerning risk of reoffending.
- Provides information to offenders in regards to community resources and methods of finding and keeping employment and improving family relations.
Assisting and Caring for Others:
- Collaborates with medical professionals to provide information to offenders regarding advanced directives.
- Assists offenders to adjust to incarceration by conducting individualized or group sessions with assigned offenders to discuss facility and program rules and regulations.
- Counsels offenders regarding personal and family issues as needed.
- Addresses offender mental health and medical needs with appropriate staff.
Scheduling Work and Activities:
- Schedules outside services to assist with offender transition from prison to the community.
Communicating with Persons Outside of the Organization:
- Assists offenders with communicating with persons or agencies outside of the institution to expedite release plans or respond to emergencies.
- Documents referrals made to offenders regarding outside services.
- Records risk-needs assessment interviews for quality assurance.
Making Decisions and Solving Problems:
- Assists offenders in addressing their concerns regarding job pay, trust fund, sentence information, educational needs, and programs.
- Identifies issues with offender behavior to ascertain appropriate intervention techniques.
Interacting with Computers:
- Enters and retrieves information concerning offenders using computerized databases daily.
- Uses web-based programs to communicate with persons inside and outside the agency concerning offender needs.
Communicating with Supervisors, Peers, or Subordinates:
- Communicates with other counseling personnel to gain knowledge or understanding of counseling responsibilities.
- Communicates with various institutional personnel to meet offender needs.
- Provides information to other team members in treatment team meetings and staffings regarding offender progress in programming.
Updating and Using Relevant Knowledge:
- Attends various mandated training to enhance job skills and performance.
Analyzing Data or Information:
- Analyzes disciplinary reports to determine offender behavior trends.
Indentifying Objects, Actions, and Events:
- Identifies offender movement to ensure caseload accuracy.
- Time Management
- Problem Solving
- Written Communications
- Integrity and Trust
- Decision Quality
- Dealing with Ambiguity
- Computers and Electronics: Intermediate knowledge of web-based databases, word processing, e-mail systems, and data entry
- Education and Training
- Law and Government
- Psychology: Basic knowledge of human behavior and performance, individual differences in ability, personality, and interests, and learning and motivation
- Public Safety and Security
- Sociology: Basic knowledge of group behavior and dynamics as well as societal trends and influences
- Counseling: As it pertains to offenders
- Active Listening
- Active Learning
- Critical Thinking
- Learning Strategies
- Reading Comprehension
- Coordination: As relates to offender behavior
- Service Orientation
- Social Perceptiveness
- Complex Problem Solving
- Judgment and Decision Making
- Time Management
- Deductive Reasoning
- Fluency of Ideas
- Information Ordering: As it relates to determining behavior trends
- Oral Comprehension
- Oral Expression
- Problem Sensitivity
- Selective Attention
- Spatial Orientation: As it relates to institutional safety
- Time Sharing
- Written Comprehension
- Written Expression
- Auditory Attention
- Speech Clarity
- Speech Recognition
Tools and Equipment Used
- GroupBox1Personal Computer
- Word Processing Software
- Electronic/Paper Documents
- Multi-line Telephone
- Copy Machine
- Fax Machine
- Digital Recorder
- 2-Way Radio
- Lamination Machine
- Lamination Machine