Business Development Intern (Virtual)
Village Book Builders (VBB) is a Nonprofit Organization focused on breaking the cycle of poverty by reducing dropout rates in developing countries. Research shows that every additional year an individual stays in school, their lifetime earning potential increases by 10%. As students drop out of school to help make money, they limit the income they will make and increase the likelihood that their children will drop out prematurely. This cycle keeps individuals trapped for generations.
To break this cycle, VBB builds libraries and establishes mentor programs so each student can have personal interactions with a mentor. Most schools have student to teacher ratios of 75 to 1 making it nearly impossible to get individual attention. Mentors allow students to get the attention they need so they can utilize the resources provided and stay in school for longer.
VBB has partnered with several corporations such as Nike, Oracle, doTerra, Visa, Hasbro and others. These companies make it an option for their employees to volunteer as a mentor and pay them and us for their time. The purpose of this internship is to increase the engagement of the partner organizations and their employees to 1) increase the effort the organization spends to push volunteer opportunities and 2) to support the corporate volunteers so they can have the best experience possible to reduce corporate volunteer turnover and increase the effectiveness of those volunteers.
Start Date: February (Flexible)
End Date: July (Flexible)
Time Commitment: 5-10 hours per week
Reports to: CGO (Chief Growth Officer)
Can be done for School Credit (according to individual university policies) of just for the warm and fuzzy feelings that come from working towards a good cause
Interviews are held on a rolling basis and applications will be considered until the positions are all filled.
Interns do not need to have all of the qualifications or experience listed below, but a willingness to learn is essential. The ideal intern will have the following traits:
- Preferably pursuing a degree in Sales, Business Management, Non-Profit Management, Project Management, Communication, or other related fields
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Charismatic, personable, and trust building personality
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and meet deadlines
- Able to demonstrate creative problem solving capabilities
- Self-starter and passionate about making a difference
Hiring Manager Advice: Be yourself! Let us know why you are passionate about the mission of VBB. Passion and drive are bigger factors to us than any experience you have on your resume. Let us see that in your cover letter as well as in your interview.
- Work with Chief Growth Officer to increase the engagement of corporate partners
- You will NOT be cold calling companies - This is NOT a sales position (though a sales background wouldn't hurt your ability to be successful)
- Your main task as stated above will be to 1) increase the effort corporations spend on pushing the volunteer opportunities and 2) to better the experience that the volunteers have
About the Position
This position's schedule is flexible regarding hours/days and averages 5-10 hours per week . You can work remotely from anywhere in the world. You will be joining a team of dedicated, individuals, who are passionate about making a difference. Interns may receive letters of recommendation and job recommendation with corporate sponsors along with the opportunity to network with professionals from current corporate partners (Nike, Oracle, Visa, etc) as well as strengthen partnerships with newer corporate partnerships.
HR Administrator Note:
As a 501(c)(3) non-profit, Village Book Builders is not subject to the intern regulations of the Fair Labor Standards Act. However, we do believe this internship meets all of the Act’s criteria, including providing an experience similar to that which would be given in an educational environment. Additionally, we clearly communicate with all applicants in advance the internship is an unpaid and short-term opportunity.