Intern, Strategic Communications
You believe in a culture of inclusive excellence and value the differences that make us each unique. You are professional and kind; curious and passionate about your work and studies; seek a stimulating and rewarding internship; and, sincere in your desire to help others. Join our internship program and gain valuable learning and working experience at a leading nonprofit organization.
ABOUT UNITED WAY WORLDWIDE:
United Way brings people, organizations, and communities together around a common cause, a common vision, and a common path forward. In many communities, we're the only nonprofit building up the cornerstones of education, financial stability and health—and the only nonprofit bringing people together from all walks of life to be a part of local solutions. We're engaged in nearly 1,800 communities across more than 40 countries and territories, where people are powering big ideas and big action by donating, volunteering and speaking out through United Way.
United Way Worldwide is located in Old Town Alexandria, VA. Our culture is People First—we take it seriously and, because of that, we take good care of people. We encourage growth and upward mobility—and want you to succeed in a diverse, inclusive, and ethical workplace. Take action, join our Internship—apply now.
INTERN EXPERIENCE AT UNITED WAY WORLDWIDE
Interns at United Way Worldwide gain valuable learning and working experience at a leading nonprofit organization. Our goal is to make every intern who works with us feel included, valuable, and productive. In addition to the hands-on experience you’ll receive working at the largest nonprofit in the world, you will be provided with weekly professional development workshops.
The internship opportunities are open to current students of a college program, or within 2 years of graduating. Applicants must be eligible to work within the United States and have all documentation at the time of their application, including a Social Security Number.
United Way's Communications team is looking for an intern who can help support the building for the future of our organization. As we continue to expand our digital and social presence across multiple platforms we are looking for someone to help create content for a variety of audiences (internal, network partners, donors, etc.). This intern will work closely with the Communications team to develop this content and measure its performance.
- Work with the Communications team to measure and analyze the performance of digital content – including blogs, web page content, and updates.
- Assist with developing website content, social content for partners, and email communication to donors
- Analyze data from United Way’s public website, social, and newsletter
- Review and update marketing and communications toolkits
- Work with the communications team to create, design images and craft messages for United Way Worldwide staff to be used across employee communication platforms, including employee intranet
- Other projects and initiatives as they arise.
- Interest in learning about strategic communications, including internal, external, corporate and partner
- Organized, creative, and analytical thinker
- Quick learner, with a can-do attitude
- Comfortable working daily with a computer to complete work
- Strong teamwork skills and ability to see a project to completion
- Background in communications, public relations, journalism, graphic design, marketing, and/or social media a plus, but not required
- Weekly professional development workshops provided onsite
- Chance to meet and work with top nonprofit experts in the country
- Completely remote internship experience
This internship takes place 100% remote for the Spring 2021 semester.
Spring 2021 Internships will take place from January 18 – April 16.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
United Way Worldwide seeks diverse, qualified professionals who want to make a difference in the world. We are an equal opportunity employer and recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, disability, veteran status, marital status, age, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin or ancestry, genetic information, and other legally protected characteristics, in accordance with applicable laws. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 703-683-7860 and provide the nature of your request and your contact information.
We are a charter member of Employers of National Service and encourage AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni to apply.
DIVERSITY & INCLUSION STATEMENT OF PRINCIPLE
We take the broadest possible view of diversity.
We value the visible and invisible qualities that make you who you are.
We welcome that every person brings a unique perspective and experience to advance our mission and progress our fight for the health, education, and financial stability of every person in every community.
We believe that each United Way community member, donor, volunteer, advocate, and employee must have equal access to solving community problems.
We strive to include diversity, equity, and inclusion practices at the center of our daily work.
We commit to using these practices for our business and our communities.
Join us in embracing diversity, equity and inclusion for every person in every community.
Thank you for your interest in an internship opportunity with United Way Worldwide. You will be contacted if your qualifications are a good match and you are selected for an interview.